How to Create Your Own Business Website For Free
Many small businesses are looking for affordable methods to create an online presence for their business. This could be for a number of reasons. For instance, if a business just used Sun Doc Filings to go corporate, then a website would definitely add a professional appeal to the brand. Or, if a business simply wanted to increase exposure, a website would broaden their reach to potentially thousands of new customers. If you have spent the last couple of hours or even days searching for the best method to create your own business website and you still have not found it yet, then this article is perfect for you. After reading this short article you will be able to create your business website in a weekend.
Here are the steps for creating your own business website:
- Domain Name – The very first thing you need is to register a domain name. You can use Godaddy or 123Reg. Never buy a domain and hosting service with the same company, because doing so could cause problems when you want to move to a different hosting company.
- Hosting – It’ important that you find a hosting company that offers unlimited addon domains. What this means is that you can host multiple websites with a single account. We use Hostgator for some of our sites and it never let us down. It’s perfect for people who are just starting out.
- Installing CMS System – Don’t let the term scare you because it really isn’t that difficult to do. Think of this as the control centre and structure of your new website. You need to download the files from the WordPress website and unpack it. Next, you’ll need to upload this folder to your hosting server. The folder is called public_html or home. If you not sure, just ask your hosting company.
- Setup SQL Database – This is probably the most difficult step so far, but after you’ve done it once you will be able to do this in 5 minutes. Basically, you need to login to the Cpanel, which is provided by your hosting company that allows you to create email addresses, databases, upload files, backup files and many more. Once you have logged in you will some icons and the one you want to click on is called “MySQL Database”. Create a new database and user in there; don’t forget to assign the user to the database before leave the site. If you do have problems in this or 3rd step, you can find more information on how to install WordPress here.
- Content – I assume that you have already prepared the copy and images that you want to display on your website. If not, you will need to do that and come back to this step when you are done. In the WordPress control panel, you can use the “add pages” section to add your content to the system. If you have used Microsoft Word or something similar then you should have no problem doing this. Because WordPress is a blogging system, so you will need to change the “display mode” from posts to static pages, and you can find this option in the settings > reading section.
- Design – You are almost done! There are thousands of WordPress themes on the net, and most of them can be customised easily without any web design knowledge. The best place to start would be the official WordPress theme site. If you really want to give your business a unique appearance, you will need to learn a few things about CSS.
In my opinion, WordPress is the best CMS for creating your business website. It’s simple enough to allow people with no web design knowledge to use it, yet it’s powerful enough to allow professional website designers to build all types of business websites. One of many advantages of using WordPress to create your business website is that it can be customised to fit in with almost any business models!